August 23, 2014

Donovan Morningfire, Force and Destiny style

I did say that I'd start posting some Force and Destiny pre-gens, didn't I?

Well, I figure that I might as well get the ball rolling with my Jedi namesake.  To be fair, Dono was not the first character I built using the Force and Destiny rules, especially since I used the rules for "Knight-level" characters to create him.  I wanted to try my hand at building a few characters that operate at the standard baseline to see how they compared to starting characters in Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion.

But once that was done, it was on to the task that I'd been wanting to attempt ever since FFG announced they had the Star Wars RPG license.  So without further rambling on my part, I present...

Donovan Morningfire, Jedi Apprentice
Species: Human (bonus non-career skills are Cool and Discipline)
Career: Seeker
Specializations: Ataru Striker, Force Emergent
Total XP: 270
Morality: 50
Emotional Strength: Bravery
Emotional Weakness: Recklessness
Motivation: Justice (Cause) 

Characteristics: Brawn 2, Agility 3, Intellect 2, Cunning 2, Willpower 3, Presence3
Skills: Athletics 1, Cool 1, Coordination 1, Discipline 1, Lightsaber 2, Knowledge (Xenology) 1, Survival 1, Vigilance 1
Talents (Ataru Striker): Ataru Technique, Conditioned, Dodge, Jump Up, Parry,  Quick Draw, Reflect
Talents (Force Emergent): Grit, Toughened, Uncanny Reactions, Uncanny Senses
Force Powers: Enhance (Control Upgrade: Coordination), Move (Strength  Upgrade), Sense (Control Upgrade: Defense)
Soak Value: 3
Wound Threshold: 14
Strain Threshold: 14
Defense (Melee/Ranged): 0/0
Gear: Basic lightsaber (Lightsaber; Damage 6; Crit 2;Range [Engaged]; Breach 1, Sunder), concealing robes (+1 soak), comlink (handheld), glow rod, 3 ration packs, 3 stimpacks, rebreather (as breath mask), utility belt, 200 credits

Going by his progression through my old Unexpected Destiny fan-fic as a either an RCR d20 Jedi Guardian or a Saga Edition Jedi, this puts him at about 3rd level in terms of his fighting and Force prowess.  Things aren't quite on par; for one he can't use telekinesis to attack and he can't quite do super leaps, but those two things are only 35 XP away.  And yes, I did technically cheat by using the Force Emergent from the Age of Rebellion core rulebook, but it does the job.

The rank in Knowledge (Xenology) was a bit odd at first (the Seeker career's list of career skills really don't mesh well with Dono's back-story; frankly he's better as either a Guardian or a Warrior, but him being an Ataru student is an iconic element of his characterization), but upon later thought it actually works, as when he appeared in d20 games, he was fairly savvy about different species, and even picked up on the Twi'lek head-tail languages.  The high Presence is more a nod to the fact he had a pretty high Charisma, even before Saga Edition made using the Force dependent on that ability score; were it someone else I'd probably have put the points into Brawn.  Dono did have a pretty good Constitution score in the d20 system, but a so-so Strength, so Brawn 2 works; he always was more about avoiding damage than absorbing it.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how he worked out as a character.  It's a pretty solid starting point with plenty of room for him to grow, both as a duelist and as a Force user.  I do promise that the next few characters I post will be more along the lines of starting level characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment